Monday, May 16, 2011

Home Now

My roommate isn't here and I'm SO GLAD. She went out of town for a week.

I was in a tight spot when I accepted her, it was an awkward time of year to get a roommate (March).

When G came to see the apt, she could pay the rent, I basically liked her - but when I listened to my intuition -  it said - WAIT! I usually take my time and choose the person when I feel the perfect intuitive click.

So here we are.

She is younger than me, and grew up middle class, like me. I haven't gotten all of the details. She has let me know that her mom was wealthy before she met her dad, who is Googleable...whatever. Who she is now is the person who is in my converted living room/loft and home. All.The.Time, but then, so am I.

She also wears a headband, smokes pot, stays in most evenings. She went to Columbia and says "Word" or "Yo".  She judges me and the apartment - we judge each other. She does like my kitchen cabinets, though, which she called, "sick", because it's pretty and you can add shelves as needed.

On Sundays, she pulls out her laptop and works from home - I hate that. She's an irritating person's irritating person.

We hung out and talked one evening, drank, and smoked her pot. She opened up to me and told me that she  is bipolar, and that it runs in her family. Later, I heard her crying; strange, muffled sobs, that sounded like quacking at first.

She leaves her medication in the bathroom cabinet, and I always just ignored it to be polite. The next morning I looked at it - it's the same ones I take for depression.

When I told my friend, he said," You waited to check out her medication till after you heard quacking sounds?"


No comments:

Post a Comment