Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Know Where Love Lives

Here is a poem I found many years ago that speaks about loving yourself and not making someone else necessary/responsible for those beautiful feelings we have when we fall in love.

It also reminds me of something I read once which said: "All love is self-love".

It takes practice, and this is a good reminder.


Poem for the Woman Who Doesn’t Want a Daughter
                        By Karen Ethelsdattar

I want you to look at yourself in the mirror & say
“& God created Woman & she is good”
I want you to look at yourself in the mirror
& say “God is a Woman”
I want you to look at yourself in the mirror
& say “I am God’s Daughter”
I want you to look at yourself
with a lover’s eye
& write a poem about yourself that way
I want you to taste yourself & feel yourself & smell yourself
& study how to please yourself
the way you study
the way you were trained to study
to please men
I want you to study women walkin’ down the street
the way you study men
How their hips swing & their breasts sway
& their hair goes free in the wind
& I want you to exult & sing,
“I am one of them”
I want you to bathe yourself like a baby
with scented oil till you gleam
I want you to watch the muscles of women ripple
& say to yourself
how beautiful it is when women are strong
I want you to go to your hairdresser
& say, “I want it natural.
I like the way I am.”
I want you to go through a hundred women’s magazines
& tear out every page on cosmetics & beauty care
& how to reduce yourself to a shadow
& make a fire & let them burn
I want you to boycott perfumed toilet paper
& use an outhouse for a week
in the heat of the summer
& sit there with the door hangin’ open
& look out at the trees
I want you to study proud women
& character lines
in the faces of old women
& think on every woman in your life
who did you good
I want you to find a portrait
of a great woman
& paste it over your television screen
I want you to ask for help from other women
& help them in return
& every time you feel turned on
I want you to close your eyes & say
“This is me. This comes from within.”

No comments:

Post a Comment