Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Business -

I am trying for open, steady, honest communication. Consistently. Without an agenda. In a business-like fashion. I have been at the business library in the city recently. It feels good.

I went to the library in Greenpoint today. Weird. I found this book - perfect for right now. A woman artist, with a good voice, an actor. All kinds of things addressed. I'm a bit freaked. And another beautiful art book.

I feel bad when I go in there, generally. I've told off a few people (all justified,) Whatever. I'm liking that I'm part of a community. That I can say, yes, I know, here is where I was, I'm growing.

I went in and didn't feel too bad. I had dropped off a book to support the library and keep finding good books on their free shelves, and they are always worthwhile.

A librarian came up to me - I really like her. One day I came in and I owed some library fines - and, she said: give it to me, and checked it out for me.

Today she came up and I've been thinking about referring her to different papers, etc, for her to promote her events, and the library, which, ridiculously is being cut back. Whatever. I was there, doing MY own thing, (correctly) and she came up and asked why I didn't attend her event - there is a level of respect there, so when I referred her to an organization to promote her events, I hope it helped/mattered.

This reminds me of S, the bodega man, who I kept butting heads with, next door. I was all - hey - do you do credit. And he was like, no. One day he said - I give credit to friends before 5. After 10 only friends/ customers.

This is lame, but I'll explain later. Feels like, where I am right now: You have to have your own bases covered before you help someone else. I always forget this, but this is business. Not only will it help them, but they will respect that - you will be the worthwhile person who helped them.

No comments:

Post a Comment